Sunday, November 16, 2008

What I Want

I typically try to live with few wants.  Good food, good people, and my kittens seem to make me happy the most.  Today, however, I found myself saying "I want" a few times.  I want a pair of funky leg warmers, I want a pair of awesome color opaque tights, I want a magnetic poetry kit.  There are reasons why I havent' acquired some of those items.  The first two because I'm tall with thick calves, so they're hard to find to fit.  The third because I've just never felt the extreme urge to buy one when I see it OR there are so many series I can't pick just one (original, haiku, green... ack!).

And then I read this article and realized two more things I want (that aren't so superficial!).

1- a sharpened chef's knife
2- a halfway decent vegetable peeler

See, when I first established my kitchen utensils, I was moving in with a guy who had nothing.  So everything we bought was not great.  It sufficed, but not great.  Now that I'm living alone, but with all of the same stuff, I feel a need to slowly upgrade.  I think instead of growing up it should be called "grading up."  And since when I cook I use pretty much just the large psuedo-chef's knife that came in our value set (with free knife block!) unless I really feel a need to use the paring knife, which isn't often as it tends to disappear for months at a time with me barely noticing, I really just want a chef's knife. (phew! long sentence!).  And using a single knife for most everything (don't worry, I prevent crosscontamination) is not unusual.  NPR did a segment on a Chinese cooking school where all the students use only the cleaver.

I like my knife, it's a good size.  But damn, I wish it would cut easier!

No comments: