Sunday, November 9, 2008

It's a dangerous week to be a cake

At least, at my house it's dangerous to be a cake.  You won't survive!

I made an extremely simple buttermilk-apple cake (here's the buttermilk popping up again), which I topped with a ginger whipped cream, and my absolutely favorite ever chocolate bundt cake.

CAKE 1
So first, the cake with the buttermilk and the apples was Heidi Swanson's "Unfussy Apple Cake Recipe."  I LOVE 101 Cookbooks!  I have used so many of her recipes for potlucks and parties because they are so awesome (and vegetarian, vegan, wholesome, different, for picky eaters, etc.)  I made one "change" to her recipe.  Because I ran out of cinnamon (how does that happen?) I added a teaspoon of ginger.  Then, I made for it some whipped cream that wasn't over sweet, but also played on the ginger.  It went so well together that I actually sorta, kinda, maybe forgot all about taking a picture until the very end.


Ginger Whipped Cream
Makes about 1 cup of whipped cream

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp confectioners sugar
2 tsp powdered ginger
1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine ingredients.  Whip until a whipped cream consistancy.



CAKE 2

On Friday night, my friend called me.  She was upset some because the next day was her birthday and her simple plans had fallen through.  Basically, we were just supposed to meet at her sister's house and have a pot luck.  But something came up and her sister couldn't have it.  Another (::ahem::) friend who had previously offered up his house for the celebration retracted it as there was a show he really wanted to go see.  So, without looking at my wreck of a living room or dining room, I tell her "Come on over to my place, I'll have something for you.  We'll have food and cake.  Real not-from-a-box cake!"  And I sent out an email to our crew and went to sleep.

I woke up Saturday morning with a laundry list of things before my house was presentable to a large group of people, including people who are allergic to cats.  I spent most of the day picking up and cleaning, so I knew I would make something fast but good for the "dinner" portion, but I needed to make a cake.  Everyone loves chocolate cake, and I had been itching to make this recipe.

This chocolate cake recipe has a bit of personal history with me.  At my parent's house, when I was growing up, if I wanted a cake for my birthday I needed to make it myself.  This is what I made every year.  So yes, it's a winner.



Chocolate Birthday Cake

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
6 tbsp cocoa
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt

12 tblsp oil
2 tblsp vinegar
2 teasp vanilla

2 cups cold water.

Stir together dry ingredients.

Make 3 holes.  In one hole pour oil.  In one hole pour vinegar.  In one hole pour vanilla.  Over all of this, pour water.

Mix with fork. DO NOT BEAT!

Pour into a greased and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes.

When cool, top with sifted confectioners sugar.

No comments: